Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Consumer Education

Subscribe to the Consumer Education Section RSS Feed

Sweet or sickly sweet, it’s your choice for Valentine’s Day


Flowers or chocolate? Dining out or staying in? These are the two biggest Valentine’s Day dilemmas. While flowers and chocolates can help make for a great night, poor dining choices can ruin the afterglow of the celebration. Stop Foodborne Illness wants you to be aware of how preventing foodborne illness this Valentine’s Day is one… Continue Reading

Listeria found in NY raw milk; state urges public to throw it out

State has issued at least three other Listeria warnings since 2007 on Breese Hollow Dairy raw milk

New York officials again today warned the public to immediately dispose of unpasteurized Breese Hollow Dairy raw milk because of Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The state has issued Listeria alerts for the dairy’s raw milk at least three other times since 2007. The David Phippen Farm, which operates under the Breese Hollow name, suspended operations on… Continue Reading

Briefly: Sizzlin’ Salmonella — Two raw stories, neither good

Every hour of every day people around the world are living with and working to resolve food safety issues. Here is a sampling of current headlines for your consumption, brought to you today with the support of iwaspoisoned.com. Killing Salmonella with heat The most economical way to kill bacteria that cause common food-borne illnesses — mostly… Continue Reading

Hepatitis A exposures at New York restaurant, senior home

Little time left for people to obtain post-exposure vaccinations for highly contagious liver virus

An employee at a restaurant and a senior living facility in Erie County, NY, who was infected with hepatitis A while working exposed hundreds of people to the highly contagious virus and there is very limited time for them to seek post-exposure vaccinations. It is already past the treatment deadline for some patrons of Al-e-oops… Continue Reading

Friends don’t make friends sick on Super Bowl Sunday


I come from a long line of, “Oh, just leave that leftover chicken – or pheasant, or scrambled eggs, or fried potatoes – on the counter. Someone will eat it later.” And there they’d sit – on a small saucer on the toaster – and people would nibble at them all afternoon and into the… Continue Reading

‘Free’ trip leaves man in expensive, lifelong, parasitic nightmare

Ron and Darlene Fields had been married for 26 years when they decided to take a “free” 12-day trip to Hawaii in fall 2016. Ron was 62 then, and his construction business in Sarasota, FL, was really taking off. Darlene, who does paperwork for the company, had saved up credit card reward points so they… Continue Reading

Employee hepatitis A case confirmed at another Huddle House

Another case of hepatitis A has been confirmed in a food handler who worked while potentially contagious at a Huddle House restaurant in Missouri. Everyone who ate at the Huddle House restaurant in Poplar Bluff, MO, between Jan. 3 and Jan. 17 is advised to ask their doctors about what post-exposure steps they can take… Continue Reading

Authorities urge caution when hunting, eating wild mushrooms

As seasonal rains promote the growth of wild mushrooms, California Department of Public Health Director and State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith is again reminding people that eating wild mushrooms can cause serious illness and even death. Unseasonably warm, wet weather in other areas of the country is also prompting mushroom growth where frozen ground and… Continue Reading