A grocery store specializing in Asian food remains closed as Canadian officials continue to investigate a Listeria outbreak that has hospitalized at least six people, one of whom has died.
Public health officials from Vancouver Coastal Health told CBC News on Monday that they had not yet determined if Listeria monocytogenes infection caused the death because the victim had other underlying serious health issues.
The specific source of the Listeria contamination at Foody World in Richmond, British Columbia, remains unknown, but Vancouver Coastal Health is warning customers not to consume any produce or ready-to-eat foods made in-house at the grocery store at 3000 Sexsmith Road in Richmond.
“Potentially contaminated items include all ready-to-eat meat products such as BBQ pork and marinated meats, sushi, produce and baked goods purchased since July 2016. If you have any produce, ready-to-eat or raw food items from Foody World, please dispose of them immediately,” according to the warning, which public health officials posted Friday.
“The store will be reopened once it meets all health and safety standards.”
Anyone who has eaten any of the suspect foods and developed symptoms of listeriosis should seek medical attention and inform their doctors about the possible exposure to Listeria monocytogenes.
It can take up to 70 days for symptoms to develop, but most people become ill within four weeks of consuming contaminated food or beverages.
Symptoms of listeriosis include fever, headache, diarrhea, vomiting and muscle aches. Listeriosis can also cause serious illness such as meningitis or blood infections in pregnant women and newborns, those with weakened immune systems and older adults or seniors, according to the public warning.
For more information about the food recall, the public can call Vancouver Coastal Health – Health Protection at 604-233-3147 and ask to speak to a senior environmental health officer. Additional information is available at the following websites:
For additional details, please see: “BC’s Foody World shut down for Listeria contamination“
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)© Food Safety News