Big Dog Natural of Brick, NJ is voluntary recalling a select production lot of Big Dog Natural raw dehydrated dog food Chicken Supreme potentially contaminated with Salmonella and Fish Supreme potentially contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes that was shipped in the week of Oct.31 to Nov. 13, 2015 to online customers. Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
Healthy people infected with Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.
Pets with Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
These products were sold directly to consumers through the company’s website and in the U.S. The voluntarily recalled products include all weight volumes of the Big Dog Natural Chicken and Fish Supreme. No additional products are affected by this recall.
Big Dog Natural became aware of a potential issue after receiving notification from the FDA that an investigational sample of Chicken Supreme tested positive for Salmonella and an investigational sample of Fish Supreme tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes.
Consumers should discontinue feeding the affected product and monitor their pet’s health, and contact their veterinarian if they have concerns.© Food Safety News