Scotland’s health agencies are investigating an outbreak of E. coli infection associated with the consumption of venison products.
As of Sept. 4, 2015, there were nine cases of infection with the same strain of E. coli O157 PT32 reported across Scotland.
All of those sickened either consumed venison products, such as steaks, grillsteaks, sausages and meatballs, which had been purchased raw and cooked at home, or were fellow household members and likely to be secondary cases.
Food Standards Scotland stated that the outbreak is linked with certain raw venison products produced by a company called Highland Game and have use-by dates from Sept. 4 to Oct. 1, 2015.
“As these use-by dates have passed, products will no longer be on sale, but consumers may have products in their freezers at home,” the agency noted. “These products should not present a risk to health if they are handled and cooked properly.”
For consumers who still have concerns, “[T]hey should contact Highland Game directly, or contact the retailer where they purchased the product,” Food Standards Scotland advised.
A spokesperson for Highland Game told BBC News that, “This is a very rare incident and venison has an excellent track record of safety and standards, and there is no substantiated evidence to support the actual source of the outbreak,” adding that the Dundee company is cooperating with investigators.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)© Food Safety News