According to a Sept. 4 media report, those sickened tested positive for the intestinal bacteria, which causes severe diarrhea. Each person who became ill reportedly ate a meal at True Food Kitchen between Aug. 21-25.
Denise Fennessy, director of environmental health for the Health Care Agency of Orange County, said that none of those sickened had eaten the same dish, so the assumption was that the bacteria had been spread from person to person.
The Health Care Agency of Orange County closed down the restaurant on Aug. 28 while investigating the outbreak. It was permitted to reopen Aug. 30 after cleaning and sanitizing the entire restaurant, bringing in replacement staff, disposing of all ready-to-eat foods and removing any unsealed linens.
The restaurant opted to bring in replacement staff because all employees were tested and needed to be cleared before returning to work, Fennessy said.
Anyone with concerns or questions about the situation may call 844-570-5555.© Food Safety News