Dog treats sold in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Delaware and Tennessee are being recalled due to potential Salmonella contamination.
The recalled products were produced by Bailey’s Choice Dog Treats in Waleska, GA, and include chicken treats in various sizes marked with lot number #132881 and expiration date Feb. 2014, five-ounce bags of chicken jerky with a lot number of “Jun 5 2013,” and the following:
- 100% Chicken Treat, lot # “Jun 2 2013”
- 100% Chicken Treat, lot # “Jun 3 2013”
- 100% Chicken Breast Treat, lot # “Jun 4 2013”
- 100% Chicken Treat, lot # “Jun 15 2013”
- 100% Chicken Treat, lot # “Jul 8 2013”
- 100% Chicken Treat, lot # “Jul 11 2013”
- 100% Teriyaki Chicken Treats, lot # 132881
Georgia Department of Agriculture inspectors will continue checking retail stores and warehouses to make sure the recalled products have been removed from sale.
Bailey’s Choice spokesman Roger Thomas said in a statement Tuesday that the company has repaired a digital thermostat that caused a dehydrator used to maintain proper temperatures to malfunction.
Customers who purchased these products are directed to discard them or return them for a refund. No illnesses have been reported.
Dogs that have become infected by consuming treats contaminated with Salmonella may experience fever, lethargy, diarrhea or mucus in stool, vomiting, dehydration, weight loss or rapid heart rate. Pets experiencing these symptoms should be taken to a veterinarian immediately. This bacterial disease is zoonotic, meaning it can be transmitted to humans.
Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea that may be bloody, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses, such as arterial infections, endocarditis and arthritis.
The very young, the elderly, and persons with compromised immune systems are most susceptible to foodborne illnesses. People experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical attention.© Food Safety News