Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Missouri Boy Dies From E. Coli Infection

A 2-year-old boy from Monett, MO, has reportedly died from E. coli infection. According to a Monday TV news report, he died Friday at a Springfield hospital.

A hospital pediatrician said that the victim tested positive for E. coli O157:H7, which is commonly linked to consumption of undercooked meat.

Lawrence County Health Department officials said they weren’t sure how he came into contact with the pathogen and are investigating.

Symptoms of E. coli infection include severe stomach cramps, bloody diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Severe cases may develop hemolytic uremic syndrome, a potentially fatal kidney disease.

© Food Safety News