Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Consumer Alert for Minnesota’s Belgrade Meat Center

The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) issued an April 3rd consumer alert for people to avoid consuming smoked pork and beef pepper sticks produced by Belgrade Meat Center, located in Belgrade, MN, after routine product sampling discovered the products to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.

It’s too early to know if there are any illnesses associated with contaminated meat products, which consumers are being asked to return to retailers.

The pepper sticks included in the advisory bear the lot number 318130 located on the back of the package, and Minnesota State Establishment Number 1157. Belgrade Meat Center sold approximately 20 pounds of the pork and beef pepper sticks at its retail store in Belgrade. The company is cooperating with the state’s investigation.

In addition, approximately 280 pounds of product was distributed under the Pastures A Plenty label. These products include:

  • Uncured smoked breakfast links lot number 311130 distributed to Linden Hills Coop in Minneapolis, and Whole Foods in Duluth. The products are also served at Bryant Lake Bowl, Café Barbette and Gigi Café all located in Minneapolis.
  • Uncured pork wieners lot number 311130 was distributed through Seward Coop in Minneapolis, Mississippi Market at both the Selby Avenue and West 7th locations in St. Paul, and at the River Market in Stillwater.
  • Uncured pork wieners and uncured smoked bratwurst both with lot number 318130 served at Natedog Mobile Food Cart in the Twin Cities metro.

MDA’s Dairy and Food Inspection Division Director Heidi Kassenborg says the contamination was first detected in a product sample collected during a routine inspection. MDA investigators are now working to determine the source of the contamination.

Eating meat or other foods contaminated with the bacteria can cause listeriosis, a potentially serious disease marked by fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea.

© Food Safety News