Wales Online is reporting that a kebab shop owner in Cardiff, Wales, has been sentenced to 8 months in jail after his “heinous” food safety violations led to an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 in August 2011.
That outbreak sickened at least 9 customers, including a 12-year-old boy who suffered kidney failure and was hospitalized for two weeks.
The court found Adonis Kebab House owner Diar Wali Ali guilty of several food safety violations, including: storing raw meat next to ready-to-eat food; using a rusted dough mixer to defrost frozen meat; and using a dirty towel that touched raw meat to remove cooked meat from skewers.
Ali plead guilty to the offenses.
Ali was also censured for failing to remedy the conditions in the shop after repeated visits from environmental health. The shop is now operated under different ownership.© Food Safety News