Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Food Poisoning Struck Claremont McKenna Over Weekend

As many as 20 students at California’s Claremont McKenna College are recovering from symptoms of food poisoning, according to CMC Forum.

The student-run news service reports that the illnesses, which were marked by severe stomach pain and vomiting, did not involve alcohol. Several students required early Sunday morning emergency room treatment.

Art Davis, resident assistant at Claremont Hall, told the Forum that seven students who live in that dormitory were struck with a severe “stomach bug” on Saturday night and two required hospital treatment.

Davis, who took one student to the hospital at 3 a.m. Sunday, said doctors had not determined if the illnesses were food related or due to some sort of virus.

The Forum reported that residents and resident assistants from Boswell, Berger, Benson, and Marks dorms were struck with the illnesses, all at about the same time.

Several students reported eating an avocado chicken sandwich at lunch served at the Collins Dining Hall.

“The College did receive reports of several sick students this weekend,” said Dean of Students Mary Spellman. “Since receiving the reports, in addition to ensuring that our students are okay, we have been investigating the source of their illnesses. It appears that this situation involves more than just CMC and there seems to be no clear common source at this point. We are continuing to investigate.”

Claremont McKenna is one of the five Claremont Colleges located in the college town of Claremont, CA. Earlier this year, it was ranked as the 10th best liberal arts college in the U.S., tied with Vassar. About 1,300 students are enrolled.

© Food Safety News