H-E-B is recalling certain Asian Ready-to-Eat meals, sold in its deli section prior to May 3, because they may contain undercooked chicken.
H-E-B says the issue was discovered when a consumer complained about the possibility of undercooked chicken in one of the dishes.
According to the company, there have been no confirmed illnesses reported in connection to the recall.
However, undercooked chicken has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The recall is of 19 Ready-to-Eat entrées and meals sold in one H-E-B store in Houston and 39 other stores throughout Texas in the deli Grab ‘N Go sections. The meals, listed below with UPC codes, are packaged in a 4 ounce, 8 ounce, 12 ounce, 24 ounce black plastic containers with a clear lid, single-serve sizes and to-go containers:
– GENERAL JOES CHICKEN ENTREE 0026966900000
– LEMON CHICKEN ENTREE 0026967000000
– LEMON GRASS CHICKEN ENTREE 0026967100000
– SESAME CHICKEN ENTREE 0026960600000
– SWEET SOUR CHICKEN ENTREE 0026967200000
– HE BOWL GENERAL JOES CHICKEN 0026967400000
– HE BOWL LEMON CHICKEN 0026967500000
– HE BOWL LEMON GRASS CHICKEN 0026967600000
– HE BOWL SESAME CHICKEN 0026967700000
– HE BOWL SWEET SOUR CHICKEN 0026967800000
– GENERAL JOE’S CHICKEN – HEX 0026520900000
– SESAME CHICKEN-RETAIL PACK 0026521900000
– LEMON CHICKEN- RETAIL PACK 0026521700000
– LEMON GRASS CHICKEN-RETAIL PAC 0026521800000
– GENERAL JOES CHICKEN – FS COLD 0026703700000
– SESAME CHICKEN 0026704500000
– SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN 0026705000000
– LEMON CHICKEN 0026705100000
– LEMON GRASS CHICKEN 0026705200000
The UPC code is located on the white sticker over the seam of the product container.
Meals on the recall list sold prior to May 3, 2012 may be returned to any H-E-B store for a full refund.
For more information about the recall contact H-E-B Customer Relations at 210-938-8357 or 1-800-432-3113 from 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
© Food Safety News