Kaytee, a Central Garden & Pet brand, is recalling two products, Kaytee exact® Hand Feeding Formula Baby Birds and Kaytee exact® Hand Feeding Formula Baby Macaw, due to high levels of vitamin D.
The recalled products are used primarily by bird breeders for feeding baby birds. Baby birds being fed the formula may run the risk of kidney failure when ingesting the product.
According to the recall news release, an elevated amount of vitamin D was unintentionally added in an isolated mixing batch during manufacturing. Products manufactured before and after the recalled batch have been tested and are safe for feeding to baby birds.
Consumers who have this bird feed brand should inspect the product packaging for the “Best Before Code (date)” to determine if it is part of this recall. All distributors have been notified of the recall and have been asked to reach out to their retail customers and to immediately remove the affected products from the shelf.
The recalled lots are:
– Kaytee exact® Hand Feeding Formula Baby Bird, 6/7.5 oz., product code 100032326, UPC code 07185947510, lot/serial no. A1, best-before codes: 21 Mar 2013 and 20 Apr 2013
– Kaytee exact® Hand Feeding Formula Baby Bird, 6/18 oz., product code 100032328, UPC code 07185947511, lot/serial no. A2, best-before codes: 9 Mar 2013 and 19 Apr 2013
– Kaytee exact® Hand Feeding Formula Baby Bird , 4/5 lb., product code 100032330 *100034332, UPC code 07185947512, lot/serial no. A3 (*includes 10 cases of Petco store product), best-before codes: 14 Mar 2013, 30 Mar 2013 and 16 May 2013, *30 March 2013
– Kaytee exact® Hand Feeding Formula Baby Bird, 1/22 lb., product code 100032336, UPC code 07185947518, lot/serial no. A4, best-before codes 21 Mar 2013, 13 Apr 2013 and
16 May 2013
– Kaytee exact® Hand Feeding Formula Baby Macaw, 4/5 lb., product code 100032337, UPC code 07185947515, lot/serial no. B1, best-before codes 1 Mar 2013, 14 Mar 2013 and 19 Apr 2013
The recall does NOT include Kaytee Wild Bird, Small Animal, or Pet Bird Fiesta, Forti-Diet, Egg-Cite, Supreme or Nature’s Benefit.
Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that is required for calcium and phosphorus metabolism and is important for normal bone, beak, claw, and eggshell formation. But consumption of formula with high levels of vitamin D can cause illness associated with kidney damage.
Baby birds that have consumed formula with high vitamin D levels may become weak and inactive and show a lack of appetite, vomiting, increased thirst, and have increased urine excretion (watery droppings).
Pet owners should stop feeding the recalled food immediately and consult with their veterinarian. The recommended treatment of baby birds that have consumed formulas high in vitamin D is fluid therapy to keep the birds well hydrated. The birds should be kept warm, and tube feeding may be needed.
Kaytee says it will work with pet owners individually on a case-by-case basis “to handle their individual needs appropriately.” Customers can receive a full refund for the recalled products.
For more information, contact Kaytee at 1-800 Kaytee-1 (800-529-8331) or email the company at firstname.lastname@example.org.© Food Safety News