Mediterra S.A. of Chios, Greece is recalling various foods sold via the Internet and in one New York retail store because they contain allergens not listed on the labels.
– PIE WITH CHIOS MASTIHA: 80 g, LOT 09120202 and best-before end 12/30/2012 contains egg albumin, wheat flour and nuts (almonds).
– HONEY PIE WITH ALMONDS 80 g, LOT 27111107 and best -before end 06/30/2012, contains egg albumin, wheat flour and nuts (almonds).
– HALVA PIE WITH CHIOS MASTIHA AND PEANUTS 80 g, LOT 85111104 and best-before end 06/25/2012, contains egg albumin, wheat flour and nuts (almonds).
– FIGS STUFFED WITH ALMONDS 360 g , LOT 16111115 and best-before end 04/30/2012, contains nuts.
– GREEK GARLIC SPREAD WITH ALMONDS 180 g, LOT 03110916 and best before end 09/30/2012, contains nuts (almonds) and wheat bread.
– HANDMADE TRAHANA PASTA WITH MASTIHA 340 g, LOT 03101125 and best-before end 04/30/2012, contains milk yogurt and wheat gluten.
– SMOKED EGGPLANT SPREAD WITH CHIOS MASTIHA 180 g, LOT 03110916 and best-before end 09/30/2012, contains nuts (pine nuts).
– SPICY GARLIC SPREAD WITH CHIOS MASTIHA 180 g LOT 01110916 and best before end 09/30/2012, contains wheat bread.
These products have been sold in the United States via Internet sales through www.mastihashopny.com and from one retail store located at 145 Orchard St., New York, New York.
The recall was initiated after it was discovered that the allergen-containing products were distributed in packaging that did not reveal the presence of the allergens. Specifically, the company did not declare that albumin is egg albumin, yogurt is milk yogurt, bread contains wheat, and almonds and pine nuts are nuts.
MEDITERRA S.A. printed and sent corrected labels for these products earlier this month and says all products now properly declare all ingredients, including any allergens.
The recalled products may be returned to the place of purchase for a full refund.
For more information contact the U.S. retail store at 212-253-0895 between 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. Eastern Time, Tuesday through Sunday or the manufacturer directly at 0030-22710-51805.© Food Safety News