Maribel’s Sweets of New York is recalling its New York Handbag Collection gourmet chocolate candies because they may contain peanuts and tree nuts (pistachios) not listed on the ingredients label.
The company said the problem was caused by a temporary breakdown in its production and packaging processes.
The chocolates are safe for people who do not have allergies, but people who have allergies to peanuts and pistachios run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they eat products containing them.
The recalled chocolates were distributed nationwide in retail stores and through mail orders.
The chocolates are packaged in either blue or red boxes in the quantities described below. Products were distributed between Nov. 1, 2011 and Dec. 23, 2011.
– 9 pieces in a blue box, UPC 58289 00011
– 9 pieces in a red box, UPC 58285 00086
– 16 pieces in a blue box, UPC 58285 00012
– 16 pieces in a red box, UPC 58289 00087
– 25 pieces in a blue box UPC 58285 00013
– 25 pieces in a red box, UPC 58289 00088
– 100 pieces in a blue box, UPC 77708 00154
– 100 pieces in a red box, UPC 77708 00185
The product label has been corrected to properly declare all ingredients, including any nuts or other allergens.
Consumers can return the recalled chocolates to the place of purchase for a full refund. For more information contact the company at 1-212 925 6999 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.© Food Safety News