A Miami company is recalling 600 pounds of smoked salmon from 20 states after routine sampling by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumers Services found that the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
St. James Smokehouse Inc., is recalling its Scotch Reserve Whiskey & Honey Smoked Scottish Salmon. The 4 oz retail packs have the lot code 5797 and batch code 4759 with the UPC number 853729001151.
No illnesses have been linked to the product.
The recall was announced in a week-old news release, dated Feb. 4 but published Thursday, by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Neither Florida nor Fresh Market stores, which retails the smoked salmon, issued a public announcement about the potential problem.
According to the company, the Florida Ag department found that one 4 oz package tested positive out of 3 packages sampled.
The recalled salmon was distributed and sold at Fresh Market stores in Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Louisiana, Maryland, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.
The code numbers (lot code 579, batch code 4759 and UPC number 853729001151) are located on a white label on the back of the package.
Consumers who purchased the salmon should not consume it and may return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions can contact the company at 1-305-461-0231 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
In the news release, the company said it is taking this action as a precautionary measure and that it is working with the FDA.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy persons may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headaches, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infections can cause miscarriages and stillbirths in pregnant women.© Food Safety News