Smoked salmon from Scotland contaminated with Listeria is on the recall list in Hong Kong.
The public was warned Thursday not to eat “Loch Fyne” pre-packed ready-to-eat smoked salmon products because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Businesses were ordered to stop selling the product.
A spokesman for Hong Kong’s Center for Food Safety said two samples of smoked salmon from the same consignment taken from an importer were contaminated with Listeria.
The recalled products and packing details include:
- Loch Fyne Classic Smoked Salmon 100 grams.
- Loch Fyne Classic Smoked Salmon 200 grams.
- Loch Fyne Scottish Atlantic Atlantic_Salmon 1.23 kilograms.
- Loch Fyne Organic Smoked Salmon 100 grams.
- Loch Fyne Whisky Salmon 200 grams.
- Loch Fyne Gravadlax Marinated Scottish Salmon 100 grams
The place of origin for all the products is Scotland of the United Kingdom (UK); they carry a best buy before date of Nov. 18, 2010.
“Investigations revealed that the affected products had been on sale in the following four retailers, including Jusco at Whampoa Garden in Hung Hom, the Country store at Country Club of American Club Hong Kong on Tai Tam Road on Hong Kong Island, Piu Kee shop at Sha Tin Market and Oliver’s Delicatessen at Prince’s Building in Central.
The shops have already stopped selling the affected products,” the spokesman said.
He advised consumers who had bought the affected products not to consume them and to seek medical advice if they developed symptoms after eating the products concerned.
Symptoms after exposure to Listeria monocytogenes may include fever, headache, vomiting and diarrhea.
While healthy individuals rarely develop symptoms, the effects on pregnant women, newborns, the elderly and people with lowered immunity could be severe and could include miscarriage and meningitis.
© Food Safety News