Our one year anniversary is quickly approaching here at Food Safety News, and despite the fact that we’ve only met in person twice during the last year we’ve held 2 successful virtual picnics–one on Memorial Day and one on the 4th of July. As summer comes to a close, we’re hosting another virtual picnic.
In addition to Mary’s crab cakes, Suzanne is bringing another main course–pork chops. For sides, Michelle is bringing a roasted beet and goat cheese salad and Denis is bringing deviled eggs. Helena is bringing a fruit crumble for dessert. Dan is bringing the beverage, or in his words, “The best whiskey on Earth.”
We’re sharing our recipes here, so you can join in our virtual potluck or use them at your next one.
Have a Safe Labor Day Weekend!
The Food Safety News team.
Michelle’s Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Salad
I’m finishing up a cross-country road trip this weekend, and wanted to throw together something that’s easy but tasty for the Food Safety News virtual picnic. This is a great salad for the end of summer. Most of the ingredients are readily available at farmers markets but are just as easily found at the store.
– red beets
– log of good goat cheese
– ground black pepper
– tangerines or clementines
– roast beets in oven until soft (broiling works best, time depends on size of beets)
– peel and slice beets into thin circles or dice into small pieces
– peel clementines or tangerines and separate pieces
– wash and dry arugula
– put arugula down on plates as the base of the salad
– place beet pieces on top of bed of arugula
– crumble 1 to 2 tablespoons of goat cheese over the arugula and beets
– squeeze lime juice over salad
– crack pepper over salad to taste
Serve and enjoy!© Food Safety News