Tanja Dzinovic, who ordered a California Cobb Salad and ate some other offerings from the Baker Street Restaurant and Pub in Kenosha, WS, and was infected with the Salmonella pathogen, sued for damages Tuesday.
Dzinovic, represented by the food safety law firm of Marler Clark, filed against L & K Tricoli, which owns the Baker Street Restaurant and Pub, in the Kenosha County Branch of Wisconsin District Court. She was one of at least 30 restaurant patrons who were sickened by an outbreak of Salmonella linked to Baker Street.
Dzinovic ate at the Baker Street Restaurant and Pub in Kenosha on Friday, June 18. On Monday, she woke with severe abdominal cramps and diarrhea. By Wednesday, her symptoms were so severe she went to the hospital for treatment, where it was determined that she had been infected with Salmonella enteritidis. Her Salmonella was later linked to the Baker Street Restaurant outbreak. She continues to recover from her illness.
“Salmonella infections can make you very sick and take a long time to fully clear from the body,” said Dzinovic’s attorney, Drew Falkenstein. “It isn’t what anyone wants to bring home from dinner out at a restaurant.”
The Baker Street Restaurant and Pub, located at 6208 Green Bay Road in Kenosha, was temporarily closed by the Kenosha County Health Department after the Salmonella outbreak was traced to food prepared there. The specific vehicle of contamination has not yet been identified.
Dzinovic is also suing Baker Street’s insurance carrier, although its name is not known at this point in the proceedings. The California Cobb Salad she ordered included grilled chicken, avocado, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, red onions, and blue cheese crumbles with balsamic vinegar dressing.
Dzinovic also had chicken dumpling soup with bread and a taste of her boyfriend’s fried fish and salad from the Baker Street salad bar.
The lawsuit alleges liability and negligence on the part of the defendant restaurant and its insurance carrier. It seeks unspecified damages that the court finds “just and equitable” and a jury trial.© Food Safety News